Fire Up the Grill Safely This Summer
By Jones Insurance Services, May 24 2018 06:00PM
If you plan to barbecue this Memorial Day or anytime this summer, keep yourself, children, pets, and property safe.
The U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) recommends the following tips for preventing burns and controlling the flames while you grill outside:
• Only use your grill outside. Keep it away from siding and deck rails.
• Wear short sleeves or roll them up when cooking on the grill.
• Open your gas grill before lighting.
• Use long-handled barbecue tools.
• Keep a three-foot safe zone around grills, fire pits, and campfires. This will help keep kids and pets safe.
• Never leave your grill, fire pit, or patio torches unattended.
• Clean your grill after each use. This will remove grease that can start a fire.
• Place the coals on your grill in a metal can with a lid once they have cooled.
For more information on first aid for burns or fire prevention during the summer months, visit the USFA Summer Fire Safety page.